<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d6736792\x26blogName\x3d1000+Black+Lines\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1513283592623172668', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

1000 Black Lines

:: digital coffee stains on the paper of the blogosphere ::

« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »

Nostalgia, reunion and selling satellite television

Over the weekend I attended the 10th year reunion of my university graduating class. I don't believe I'll attend another reunion. It's not that it was a horrible experience. Rather, the people I have maintained relationships with during the last 10 years were the only people I knew at the reunion. It dawned on me that I didn't spend a whole lot of time socializing during the university years. Mostly I studied and worked (on average I had at least three part time jobs and attending classes full time).

The reunion event was well organized and had wonderful atmosphere. But I felt like I was in a room full of stangers of which the only thing binding us together was the simple fact that we crossed a platform and received a diploma on the same day 10 years ago. Ruminating with one friend, I told him that my only thoughts during the graduation ceremony was wondering how many trips it would take me to deposit all the stuff in my dorm room to the rental house on the south side of the city. Further, how was I going to pay the rent working as a telemarketer. I had a freelance gig with the ad agency I interned with but they had no plans of hiring me full time.

What I remember of the actual ceremony was this: there was a spring rain, but it cleared before the graduates had to assemble outside before the procession; I remember loading up my old beater of a car with everything I owned and my parents took me out to eat at IHOP the day after graduation. The following afternoon I was trying to sell a guy in Maine satellite television. He kept threatening to call me during my supper and I apologized. I gave him my old dorm telephone number (partly out of spite, partly out of habit, partly because the new rental house didn't have a telephone connection yet). I did not follow the telemarketing firm's protocol that day.

The old house I first rented after graduation no longer exists. Some progressive city development plan razed it and there's nothing but memories left for me of that place.

leave a response