<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d6736792\x26blogName\x3d1000+Black+Lines\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1513283592623172668', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

1000 Black Lines

:: digital coffee stains on the paper of the blogosphere ::

« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »

300 reasons to go

Okay, so that title is a tease. When Frank Miller's graphic novel 300 was first published as a five issue mini series, I purchased it like all the other fan boys of his work. Now a movie version of the graphic novel will be released in a few short months [here's the 300 teaser trailer].

Speaking of Frank Miller ... A month ago I was a bit surprised to hear NPR's Morning Edition host announce his name. Frank Miller contributed an essay to This I Believe. He wrote and read:
Then came that sunny September morning when airplanes crashed into towers a very few miles from my home and thousands of my neighbors were ruthlessly incinerated -- reduced to ash. Now, I draw and write comic books. One thing my job involves is making up bad guys. Imagining human villainy in all its forms. Now the real thing had shown up. The real thing murdered my neighbors. In my city. In my country. Breathing in that awful, chalky crap that filled up the lungs of every New Yorker, then coughing it right out, not knowing what I was coughing up.

For the first time in my life, I know how it feels to face an existential menace. They want us to die. All of a sudden I realize what my parents were talking about all those years.

Patriotism, I now believe, isn't some sentimental, old conceit. It's self-preservation. I believe patriotism is central to a nation's survival. Ben Franklin said it: If we don't all hang together, we all hang separately.
[Read the complete essay was broadcast on September 11, 2006.]


Being a casual fan of Frank Miller's work I was caught off guard. The brush behind Ronin, Sin City, 300 and other comics that pushed and continue to push against the U. S. censorship laws surrounding comics was not one I expected to hear from about patriotism. Everyone has the right to voice his or her convictions and opinions. Some are brave enough to actually share them intelligently and publicly.

  1. Blogger ash | 8:18 PM, October 13, 2006 |  

    i love frank miller!

  2. Blogger 1000 black lines | 6:50 PM, October 17, 2006 |  

    Are you going to see 300?

leave a response