<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d6736792\x26blogName\x3d1000+Black+Lines\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1513283592623172668', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

1000 Black Lines

:: digital coffee stains on the paper of the blogosphere ::

« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »

WiFi madness


Atlanta Bread Company
Why is it the Buncombe Free Wifi connections suck? Earlier today at Everyday Gourmet, I was trying to email a client and lost the connection. Almost a second later a woman at the window exclaimed, "Oh, s---!" I saw her relaunch her browser. Yesterday, I watched a guy open his laptop, log on, drum his fingers on the table and cuss. He closed his laptop and left.

So far, I've found that the Atlanta Bread Company has the best connection. Where else in Asheville is there reliable free WiFi?

Labels: , , , ,

  1. Anonymous Don Mak | 10:38 PM, January 12, 2007 |  

    I like Dripolator. I used to like Malaprops because their own connection worked alright. But since they put all the computers on the front window I can't sit and spend the morning working. I need an AC plugin.

  2. Blogger Edgy Mama | 10:03 AM, January 15, 2007 |  

    I love Everyday Gourmet, but wireless sucks there. The Dripolator is good, although cell phone service there is not great, so I often have to walk away from my computer to take calls. Though I find if I sit near the front windows, I often get both wireless and okay cell service.

    True Confections at the Grove Arcade has excellent wireless and is often empty. They get walk-in business, but not tons of sit around business. Also, Port City Java on Merrimon has good wireless, but it can be crowded and dirty sometimes.

    Finally, if it's after 4:00 p.m. and you want a beer with your work, Jack of the Wood has excellent wireless.

    I think I've tried the wireless in every coffee shop and bar in a 10-mile radius of my home!

  3. Blogger DC | 10:32 PM, January 15, 2007 |  

    Well I don't live in Asheville so it's an odd coincidence that I have come across the same problem in Asheville.

    My mother lives in Asheville part-time and between Xmas and NY we visited. My wife and I each needed a connection for just long enough to send an email and our hotel didn't offer it. We wound up on a odd, impromptu your of some eclectic parts of the city and came to the conclusion that the wireless life in Asheville isn't great.

    That particular night we would up in the parking lot of an elementary school in a bad section of town at 9:00 on a Saturday, sending email.

    The next day we found out that the Office Depot on Tunnel Rd offers free WiFi, but no place to sit and use it other than the parking lot.

    When I asked the personnel at Circuit City where a tourist could bum a few minutes of WiFi I got a blank stare.

leave a response