<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d6736792\x26blogName\x3d1000+Black+Lines\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1513283592623172668', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

1000 Black Lines

:: digital coffee stains on the paper of the blogosphere ::

« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »

I am so weary of...

...narrow-minded Asheville hippies!

OK, now that I got that off my chest, I feel better.

Back to work everyone. Nothing to see here.

  1. Anonymous Don M | 8:46 PM, March 14, 2007 |  

    I know you don't intend to elaborate, but I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like they look at me as judgemental as some far-right conservatives. Sometimes more because I dare to have some ambition instead of whining like a little bitch about "the man" or George Bush (who I'm not a fan of ... but still).

    Does that make me in the middle then? Do I want to be in the middle? Isn't middle another word for fair, medium, lukewarm, tepid, average? Is that what I want to be?

    The questions I ask myself on a slow news night ....

  2. Blogger 1000 black lines | 12:59 PM, March 15, 2007 |  

    Within my circle of acquaintances I know people from the far-right fundamentalist conservative camp and the far-left hippie-new age-freak fringe.

    I like to consider myself a bridge between two extremes. Of course, that means I get trampled a lot. That also means I get "How-can-you-hang-out-with-those-people" from both sides. Or "You-don't-have-any-values" from one side and "You-don't-care-enough" from another side.

    What is clear, is that both extremes have a catalog of moral standards that they express passionately.

  3. Anonymous Steve Shanafelt | 1:06 PM, March 17, 2007 |  

    To be fair, that's part of the reason people move to Asheville in the first place. It's one of the few places in the country where you could belt out "I hate the President" at the top of your lungs on a downtown street and stand a fair chance of someone yelling back "Me too!"

    But, because it's such a supportive place of a variety of viewpoints, people tend to forget that there's a very fine line between having an opinion and being a bigoted, uninformed, self-righteous loudmouth -- in this case, with dreadlocks.

    I used to get pretty fed up with the constant tide of fringe-kids spouting unexamined thoughts about whatever crossed their minds until I realized that, when I was new to town, I probably sounded a lot like them.

  4. Blogger 1000 black lines | 8:55 AM, March 19, 2007 |  

    Steve,

    I understand. I can't elaborate on the specifics of the event that caused the post, but I'll use the example that you and Don offer--the President. One of the reasons I moved to Asheville was because the people of this city are open and accepting. However, I am increasingly tired of being told I have to hate the President--besides it seems contrary to the accepting spirit of Asheville.

leave a response