<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d6736792\x26blogName\x3d1000+Black+Lines\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1513283592623172668', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

1000 Black Lines

:: digital coffee stains on the paper of the blogosphere ::

« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »

Asheville, what do you really think

Here's what Asheville newcomers (and outsiders) are saying about the Paris of the South:

“These people are considerate, polite, helpful, and just plain nice. Southern hospitality reigns here.”

“On a sour note, there is a serious drug problem here. Very high personal crime rate, very high violent crime rate, for such a small city.”


Link (via Mtn X).

Labels: , ,

  1. Blogger Screwy Hoolie | 12:08 AM, June 12, 2007 |  

    Here are the crime statistics. I couldn't find any numbers on how damned hospitable we are.

    Anyone who moves here and wants to turn my home into Mayberry will be met with tolerance, acceptance, and raucus opposition.

  2. Blogger 1000 black lines | 9:01 AM, June 12, 2007 |  

    If being more like “Mayberry” means a reduction of crime, than I have no opposition to that.I do not tolerate crime and will not accept it in my home.

  3. Blogger Screwy Hoolie | 10:15 AM, June 16, 2007 |  

    What I mean by Mayberry is a sanitization of culture. I hear folks talking about shooing away all the travelers who come through here (young hippies, itinerant workers, hobos), and I wince. I hear folks talk about reducing crime, and that's cool.

    Too often though increased safety means reduced liberty.

  4. Blogger 1000 black lines | 5:39 PM, June 16, 2007 |  

    Oh, I see your point. Thanks. I'm just tired of seeing a crack house on my home or watching college students visit my 'hood and buy weed every weekend. I don't want to raise my kids in that atmosphere, but I don't want to encourage the loss of liberty either.

leave a response