<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d6736792\x26blogName\x3d1000+Black+Lines\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1513283592623172668', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

1000 Black Lines

:: digital coffee stains on the paper of the blogosphere ::

« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »

"People who avoid all criticism fail"

A lot of business and management books have captivated my reading time over the last few months. It is by choice I read these books, but not something I would have envisioned myself doing a decade ago. At the university I studied graphic design and chuckled to myself at the serious minded business students. Now I am employed as a manager and it is just weird for me to think in those terms. I don't feel like a manager. I sure don't look like a manager (for those who actual know or care what I look like). I sure am not paid like a manager.

One of the benefits to reading business and management books is to learn how other people have failed and succeeded and know that--as bad as I think I have it--it could be worse. Worse in the sense that, some of these characters lost thousands of dollars or jobs or companies--and survived and learned from it.

So I'm reading this book by Tim Ferriss. A friend recently loaned me a copy of The 4-Hour Workweek. Not your ordinary business book, and yet it is. How's that for a non-review critique? I've only completed the first part and find it to contain ingredients not a recipe--as the author suggests. Here's some excerpts:
Does your life have purpose? Are you contributing anything useful to this world, or just shuffling papers... and coming home to a drunken existence on the weekends?
and...
Busy yourself with the routine of the money wheel, pretend it's the fix-all, and you artfully create a constant distraction that prevents you from seeing just how pointless it is.
this is great...
People who avoid all criticism fail.
one more...
Most people will choose unhappiness over uncertainty.
And I have only started the second part of the book--Elimination.

Labels: , , , ,

  1. Anonymous Carla | 11:30 PM, September 03, 2007 |  

    Sounds like this book would really hit home for me. I know of some people at the office who should read it; however, some of them "avoid criticism." So I'm sure all the advice would fall on deaf ears.

    Of course, when I said the name of the book title to The Husband, he said, "Sounds good to me!"

  2. Anonymous Carla | 11:37 PM, September 03, 2007 |  

    Oh, and to me, who still remembers your wearing your wedge o' cheese hat to work the day after the Packers won the Super Bowl, it IS weird thinking of you as a manager!

    But really, a lot of times, those are the best ones!

    :-)

  3. Blogger 1000 black lines | 12:45 PM, September 04, 2007 |  

    Hi Carla,

    I'm only about 90 pages into the book. So it is too early to make a serious judgment of the book, but has given me a lot to think about.

    I STILL have that cheese head hat! Though I haven't worn it to work recently.

    Yeah, good times. I may be in your neck o' the woods in the coming days. You in The Husband interested in a Monterrey's meal?

leave a response