<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d6736792\x26blogName\x3d1000+Black+Lines\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://1000blacklines.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1513283592623172668', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

1000 Black Lines

:: digital coffee stains on the paper of the blogosphere ::

« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »

Top 8 reads of 2007

In attempting to generate a list of favorite books I read in 2007, I came across an odd curiosity. I've read all the hot, trendy books that were released during the 2007 calendar year. In fact, I think I read only new book that was released this year. This may be due to weekly (or almost weekly) library visits and my avoidance of books on the NYT bestsellers list (because it's fiction). I know, I know. This all sounds so pretentious. I've been told recently and with more frequently that I am a literary snob -- whatever that means. I tend to gravitate to books that have been around for awhile rather then to wait until midnight to read some silly adolescent fantasy novel. I prefer the fantasy novels of high adventure, heroic wenching, and a sword wielding Cimmerian. But I digress.

Besides extended visits to the library, I also receive a lot of review copies from other publishers and occasionally a friend will loan me a book "you just have to read."

So, here's my short list of books that I either captured my attention, challenged me, or otherwise haunted me after I closed the cover.
  1. The Widow of the South
  2. Pickett Leader of the Charge: A Biography of General George E. Pickett, C.S.A
  3. Tear Down the Mountain: An Appalachian Love Story
  4. We Generous Poems
  5. The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
  6. Ego & Hubris: The Michael Malice Story
  7. Brave New World
  8. The Words
Here's some other more interesting lists of books of 2007: Best business books, EM's picks.

Labels: ,

leave a response